Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Ek en jy special

Well here we are eight days after my start at a diet and I am now 2.1kgs down. I have been very bad though this weekend (my weekend by the way started on Thursday)and I wonder when it is all going to catch up with me. I am back on diet with a vengeance today.

My temptation started on Thursday when I met J for dinner at Sai Thai in Derek Ave, Cyrildene. Sai Thai has to be one of my favourite restaurants in the world. I have been going there for a number of years and I have never had a disappointing meal. On this night, trying to be good, I had a cabbage soup and a Som Tum salad. Both were delicious. Micky and Dennis run a very good show here that just seems to have gotten better and better over the years. In fact when Boston booitjie arrives this is the one restaurant I most want to show him. This restaurant satisfies my need for good service and good food and whenever my quest seems too daunting a visit here puts me at ease.

Friday I went solo and saw a movie (The Visitor), with popcorn, and then had some takeout from the fast food sushi spot opposite King David's in Linksfield. The sushi was difficult to eat. The rainbow roll pieces were too big. I don't like that. I don't think I will be back. There are so many sushi joints to choose from in Norwood now that I can be as picky as I please.

Saturday and Sunday were spent in the company of my fiercest competitors. My aunt and uncle. I tried to develop good pud.....it needs work. Lots. So I will not publish that recipe here yet. It will be a brown rice pudding and I was experimenting with rice milk.

Tonight,being back on track, I made a low fat fish bake that was delicious. Pretty simple too. Even Angela could do it. Angela by the way is my cousin who is more a won't than a can't cook. She has a very busy life and if a recipe is too complicated or too exotic she simply could not be bothered. I try when doing recipes to adapt them to be Angela friendly. This one is.

Baked Cape Whiting

1 box of frozen cape whiting steaks defrosted
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 medium onion chopped
2 cloves garlic crushed
2 tbs chopped chervil
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 200oc. Cover the bottom of an ovenproof dish with the fish. Place the tomatoes , onions, garlic and chervil into a pan and reduce to a thick sauce. Season to taste and pour over the fish. Bake for 15 minutes. Serve with a green salad.

And for those that are counting this meal is a really low kilojoule count. The serving size is one steak per serving and a healthy side salad. Approx 1300kjs

I am not a nutritionist so my kilojoule calculation is my best guess using several online kilojoule charts as reference.

No comments:

Post a Comment