Search This Blog

Monday, March 5, 2012

Trudon Intranet Blog 1Dec2008

Loyalty
Monday, December 1st, 2008
By Sue-Ann Grant
People were laughing at me a month ago. My sport teams were, just about, all losers. I have been an Orlando Pirates fan for as long as I can remember. And when I moved to London in the 80s and I had to choose a religion. Yes friends that is how serious soccer is there. The pub I spent a lot of my misspent youth in was a Spurs pub whereas the one around the corner was an Arsenal pub. And I am sure you all know that these two clubs are mortal enemies although their stadiums are in walking distance of each other. So in the interests of world peace I became a Spurs fan in 1985.

Bafana Bafana is obviously my team - aren’t they everybody’s? I am Proudly South African y’know. In 1996 I remember sitting in a pub full of miners in Harmony, Free State watching us win the CAF African Cup of Nations. It was amazing. The atmosphere was totally electric. And what a nail biting game that was and how glorious was it when we won?

I am also a huge cricket fan and support two teams South Africa and Sri Lanka. Loyalty does become a bit confused when they play each other but I am usually happy for the best side to win. It is like watching your children compete in a race. I try not to pick sides.

I am afraid I am not much of a rugby watcher but if I did and would have to choose between Stormers (my childhood home) or Cats/Lions – forgive my ignorance – where I now make my home and it would probably be the latter as it makes sense to support your local team.

Apart from cricket you could say I have chosen losing sides so imagine my delight when Pirates started winning and even beat arch rivals Kaiser Chiefs. I wanted to pull my shirt over my head and run with arms outstretched around my living room in sheer delight. Spurs have had a good start to the year and Bafana Bafana won four games in a row. Are they in time for 2010? I hope so but no matter what my head is totally lifted up now. Try and laugh about my team choices now why don’t you.

I am fiercely loyal to my teams. I support them in good times and bad because I know no matter how bad it gets they will turn it around. And I get to have the most wonderful times watching them getting their mojo back. So I thought I should tell you, just in case you don’t already know, I am in love with Rudi Krol…he’s my man.

No comments:

Post a Comment